Novak Djokovic has failed in his bid to remain in Australia and the tennis star is now set to be deported.

As a result of the verdict to cancel his visa, he will not compete in the Australian Open, which begins on Monday, where he had been hoping to win a record-breaking 21st Grand Slam.

Djokovic will not play in the 2022 Australian Open having lost a last-ditch bid to stay in the country

In addition to not competing this year, the decision could also mean, barring further legal action, that 34-year-old Djokovic may be unable to travel to Australia for three years.

"I will now be taking some time to rest and recuperate before making any further comments," he said in a statement.

"I am extremely disappointed with the court ruling to dismiss my application for judicial review of the minister's decision to cancel my visa, which means I cannot stay in Australia and participate in the Australian Open.

"I respect the court's ruling and I will cooperate with the relevant authorities in relation to my departure from the country.

"I am uncomfortable that the focus of the past few weeks has been on me and I hope that we can now all focus on the game and tournament I love."

Three judges deliberated for a little over two hours before Chief Justice Allsop delivered the verdict just before 6pm in Melbourne having heard submissions from both parties earlier in the day.

Immigration Minister Alex Hawke re-cancelled Djokovic's visa on Friday using personal powers after the world number one had won an appeal against the initial decision to bar him from the country when he arrived last week.

Djokovic, who spent another night at the Park detention hotel on Saturday, had been due to face compatriot Miomir Kecmanovic on Monday and will now be replaced in the draw by a lucky loser.