Manchester United midfielder Nemanja Matic has backed compatriot Novak Djokovic and hit out at Australia in a post on Instagram.

Djokovic was deported from Australia following the decision to cancel his visa, with a late bid to overturn it dismissed by the Federal Court of Australia.

Djokovic will not play in the 2022 Australian Open having lost a last-ditch bid to stay in the country

The unvaccinated tennis star was removed from the country because of his perceived threat to public health and order.

The decision means nine-time champion Djokovic will not be defending his title at the Australian Open, which starts on Monday, and is banned from Australia for three years - although that can be waived.

The reaction to the whole saga has been mixed, with plenty of outcry over the way the 20-time Grand Slam winner was treated.

Andy Murray labelled the whole event a 's***show', while Rafael Nadal has been critical of Djokovic saying no player is bigger than the event.

Matic gave his take on Instagram

The 34-year-old has received support from United midfielder Matic.

Matic wrote on Instagram: "Your glory and their shame will live forever."

Djokovic had the option of trying to take the legal fight further but cooperated with the deportation despite being 'extremely disappointed' by the decision.

Having already spent five nights in the Park detention hotel, he wasted no time getting out of the country and was pictured accompanied by Australian Border Force officials at Melbourne's Tullamarine Airport before boarding an Emirates flight to Dubai that left at 10.30pm.

Matic was highly critical of Australia's treatment of Djokovic

He said in a statement: "I would like to make a brief statement to address the outcomes of today's court hearing. I will now be taking some time to rest and to recuperate, before making any further comments beyond this.

"I am extremely disappointed with the ruling to dismiss my application for judicial review of the minister's decision to cancel my visa, which means I cannot stay in Australia and participate in the Australian Open.

"I respect the court's ruling and I'll cooperate with the relevant authorities in relation to my departure from the country.

Djokovic spoke out on social media after the ruling

"I am uncomfortable that the focus of the past weeks has been on me and I hope that we can all now focus on the game and tournament I love. I would like to wish the players, tournament officials, staff, volunteers and fans all the best for the tournament.

"Finally, I would like to thank my family, friends, team, supporters, fans and my fellow Serbians for your continued support. You have all been a great source of strength to me."