Manchester United have reportedly spoken to Ernesto Valverde over him becoming their interim manager.

The 57-year-old, who won LaLiga twice and a Copa del Rey in his two-and-a-half year spell at Barcelona, has been out of work since leaving the Camp Nou in the summer of 2020.

Valverde is a very experienced manager, having been in charge of six clubs since 2002

The Guardian reports that Valverde has held talks with Man United's football director John Murtough about taking over on a temporary basis.

The report adds the Red Devils top brass are conscious that Valverde has worked with Lionel Messi and would thus be at ease managing Cristiano Ronaldo.

It's understood Valverde has started sounding out potential players he could add to strengthen the squad should he be appointed.

On the prospect of managing in England, Valverde told the Observer in June: "Could be."

Valverde should be able to work well with Ronaldo having worked with Messi in the past

"I wouldn't mind trying it. You get the feeling that there's a respect there for what the game is."

Michael Carrick is currently caretaker boss on a match-to-match basis following Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's sacking at the weekend.

A permanent appointment will be made after the season's conclusion but it's understood Man United will abandon this strategy if they can get Mauricio Pochettino from Paris Saint-Germain now.

Pochettino addressed the reports in a press conference on Tuesday, insisting: "I am focused on football.

Pochettino didn't exactly rule himself out of the running to be Man United boss

"I am not a kid, I am not a child. I spend my whole life playing football. We are in a business that the rumours are there, I understand that.

"That is the world that we live in. I am so happy at Paris Saint-Germain. We are so focused on trying to get the best results that we can."

"I'm happy in Paris. I know the city well both as a player and a coach, I have always lived this type of situation. Things happen and it's not my responsibility. What I'm going to say if you ask me is that I'm happy in Paris."