Claudio Ranieri insists his number one aim at Watford is to keep them in the Premier League.

The Italian replaced Xisco Munoz at Vicarage Road after the Spaniard was sacked having picked up seven points from the opening seven games of the season.

Ranieri has a big job on his hands

Ranieri, who turns 70 next week, also paid tribute to the work of Munoz, whom he coached at Valencia during the late 90s.

Ranieri said in his first press conference as Hornets boss: "Why not Watford? I feel good, fortunately I feel good, when I think about football life is good. Football is my life.

"I am very happy to play in one of the best leagues in the world. I am an ambitious man and I hope to bring Watford to be safe at the end of the season and to improve.

"We have to be safe. The programme is very ambitious and then I hope it will be a fantastic end for Watford and our fans."

His side have seven points in seven Premier League matches

Ranieri, who last worked in England with Fulham in 2019, is not concerned about Watford's trigger-happy way of getting rid of managers.

He added: "In Italy it is normal to change the manager. We have to do our best, I can't think about the previous manager.

"Xisco was my player at Valencia, I hope he can find a new solution very soon. Now I have to do my best for Watford."